[Standards] Simple Jingle example(s) and spec(s) wanted

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Mon Feb 5 22:44:46 UTC 2007

Hi Peter!

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
> Sad but true. So I think you're right that we need to develop
> something in between full ICE + TURN + STUN and nothing. That may well
> be a relatively simple mediated TCP|UDP bytestream. Which sounds an
> awful lot like XEP-0065, eh?

I just want to throw in, that there is also a NAT punching protocol
called Teredo [1] which can be used to pass NAT routers. Especially on
Windows systems (XP SP 2+) this protocol can very easily (=nearly
transparent for the client) be used. Teredo can even be used with all
file transfer protocols we already had (jabber:iq:oob, Bytestreams and
Jingle) without modifications in the file transfer protocol.

Matthias

[1] for information on Teredo see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling - note: this page talks
about IPv6, but note that IPv6 is only the addressing used on top of
Teredo. Teredo itself runs on UDP over plain old IPv4. So no IPv6
connectivity or special internet accounts are needed to use Teredo.