[Standards] Simple Jingle example(s) and spec(s) wanted

Mikael Magnusson mikma264 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 13:56:43 UTC 2007

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Hi Peter!
>
> Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
>> Sad but true. So I think you're right that we need to develop
>> something in between full ICE + TURN + STUN and nothing. That may well
>> be a relatively simple mediated TCP|UDP bytestream. Which sounds an
>> awful lot like XEP-0065, eh?
>
> I just want to throw in, that there is also a NAT punching protocol
> called Teredo [1] which can be used to pass NAT routers. Especially on
> Windows systems (XP SP 2+) this protocol can very easily (=nearly
> transparent for the client) be used. Teredo can even be used with all
> file transfer protocols we already had (jabber:iq:oob, Bytestreams and
> Jingle) without modifications in the file transfer protocol.
>

> Matthias
>

> [1] for information on Teredo see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling - note: this page talks
> about IPv6, but note that IPv6 is only the addressing used on top of
> Teredo. Teredo itself runs on UDP over plain old IPv4. So no IPv6
> connectivity or special internet accounts are needed to use Teredo.

I agree, Teredo looks interesting. I think there are several advantages
over ICE.

*) IPv6 compatible, and makes it transparent to the client if the peer
has a native IPv6 address, or uses 6to4 or Teredo.

*) Takes advantage of IPv6 today by using IPv6 for services which need
peer-to-peer communication, which makes migration to native IPv6 smoother.

*) Miredo, a Teredo software for Linux and BSD, will be part of the soon
to be released Debian 4.0, and probably several other Linux
distributions. It's already in FreeBSD ports tree (and of course Debian
testing).

*) IPv6 and Teredo is installed and enabled by default in Windows Vista.

*) Teredo supports both UDP and TCP, and other protocols as well.

Mikael