[Standards] SASL Plain - AuthID - Bare JID or User Name?

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Tue Feb 6 20:06:15 UTC 2007

Hi Chris!

I just had this discussion with Remko the last days.

Chris Mullins schrieb:
> We just ran into a problem doing Authentication with WildFire using the
> Open Source SoapBox Framework and SASL Plain.
>
> The SoapBox Framework is using a bare JID (“user at server”) as the authid
> that’s passed across the link. The Jive server is expecting only a user
> name (“user”).
>
> The RFC doesn’t really say either way, and I figure this is a good
> chance to get it clarified.
>
> (The SoapBox Framework now can do both, but I would sure prefer just one
> or the other)

The basic problem is, that most current client implementations assume,
that for authorization as user at server, they have to authenticate as user
"user" in realm "server". So often you cannot set which username in
which realm the client should use to authenticate at the server. - It is
just automatically created from the JID you enter in the client, that
you want to use.

While this assumption will work with most current server installations,
it is nothing that is required to be supported by the server. Reading
the SASL spec I would say that the authentication identity is nothing
that is defined by the XMPP protocol, but just an identity a user has
credentials for. Just the authorization id is necessarily a JabberID.
The authentication ids that are used by a server are dependent on the
authentication backend it uses.

E.g. a server might use the realm to know which authentication backend
server has to be used, and because it supports virtual hosting but each
backend server is responsible for multiple domains, it uses usernames of
type user%server. So if the user owning the account "mawis at example.org"
has its credentials stored on "useraccounts.example.com" it might
authenticate as username="mawis%example.org",
realm="useraccounts.example.com", authzid="mawis at example.org".

Remko and I concluded that for building an easy to use UI, it is okay to
have the client doing a default mapping of JabberID to username and
realm, but that a client cannot expect that to work and should provide a
way that an experienced user is able to configure the username and realm
manually.

So back to your question if "username" or "username at server" should be
used as the authid in PLAIN:
1. It's the servers decission, it may even require to use a different
username (e.g. "username%server").
2. RFC 3920, 6.1, rule 6 specifies what a server should use as the
username for a client Jabebr account: "If provision of a 'simple
username' is supported by the selected SASL mechanism [...], during
authentication the initiating entity SHOULD provide as the simple
username [...] its registered account name (user or node name as
contained in an XMPP node identifier) in the case of client-to-server
communications." [1]

Meaning that when PLAIN is used to authenticate with the Jabber server,
the default behaviour would be to have a username of just the node and
not the full JID.

But there are good reasons why we cannot require this. If we would make
it a MUST that the the node is used as the username in PLAIN, we could
not offer the PLAIN mechanism on servers, that support virtual hosting.
(Note: you cannot use the value of the stream root to attribute to know
the domain, as the to attribute on the stream root matches the domain
part of the JID being the authorization ID, not the domain of the
"authentication ID")

Matthias

[1] Well this suggests that it's the client that decides which username
is used to authenticate, but by practical logic and by the SASL spec its
the server that has to decide which usernames are valid and are able to
authenticate as which user.

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56