[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Jingle File Transfer Description Format

Nick Parker nickp at bu.edu
Wed Feb 7 03:49:42 UTC 2007

Should hashes other than MD5 be supported? While it is plenty for
checking for corruption, I keep e-hearing about how MD5 is gradually
approaching becoming compromised (which would be important if, say, you
were worried about someone hijacking a file-send and sending fake files
with matching hashes).

I (tentatively) included support for multiple hash types (SHA512, SHA1,
MD5, CRC32) to describe files in my own XEP (see
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/fileshare.html), should I have
instead stuck with MD5-only? At the time, I had figured that support for
multiple hashes would be a good trade off between ease of implementation
and support for multiple contexts (as far as desired security).