[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Jingle File Transfer Description Format

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Wed Feb 7 10:36:55 UTC 2007

> For my next trick, a bytestreams transport, then an informational
> "here's how to get started and put it all together" doc.

A couple of questions:
- How about a one-directional HTTP-like transport (like Google uses)
to transfer the files? Would this more restrictive form be easier to
implement than SOCKS5 bytestreams ?
- How about the relation between content types and transports? For
example, with file transfer, it doesn't make sense to use unreliable
transports like raw UDP. For VoIP, you want bidirectional transports,
so a protocol like HTTP would be unsuited, unless you specify that you
want both sides to open a HTTP connection to the other. Should these
things be specified in the description format spec? Should an
enumeration of suitable transport types be part of a description spec,
or can you specify just 'types' of transports that are suitable? Which
types do you define?

cheers,
Remko