[Standards] Re: Simple Jingle example(s) and spec(s) wanted

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Wed Feb 7 13:15:12 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> ..... I wish it were, but
> it isn't. Maybe we need to do a better job of showing developers what
> the migration paths are. Maybe we need to do a better job of incenting
> developers through code bounties (the XSF has the money, let's use it
> for good). I'm open to any and all suggestions. But let's not stick with
> broken extensions that don't really solve the problem at hand, just
> because the extension is already defined. I don't want to throw things
> out if they work just fine. But I also want to make sure that we have
> working protocols, instead of half-working extensions that lead to a
> poor user experience (as I think we have right now with file transfer).

i agree with Peter and all other posts in this thread.
I also agree that Jingle could be the way to go. But as Remko said it's
damn complicated. Most of us are busy with writing server, client or
library code and implementing other existing XEP's. Getting into ICE,
STUN, TURN and all the other stuff is another full time job. I assume
most of the current projects don't have this resources. And it will be
exactly the same with E2E.

What we need here is a library which could be used like a black box from
all programming languages. As Peter said the XSF has some money and is
willing to sponser such projects.

I think as long as we don't have this libraries this discussion will
never end ;-)

Regards,
Alex