[Standards] XEP-0073: Question about service discovery

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Wed Feb 7 13:30:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 01:53:43PM +0100, Remko Tronçon wrote:
> >So even if clients implement XEP-0115 they still have to send out
> >(without caching) jabber:iq:version and the disco request
> >when someone goes online.

[.snip.]
> Clients used to do jabber:iq:version requests to display which client
> a contact is using in their UI. This of course causes floods of iq
> requests when you sign on, which is bad. This is no longer necessary
> with capabilities, since you can derive this from the caps node in the
> presence, and the client name in the cached disco#info request.

And what about XEP-0073? It does not require XEP-0115 for the basic
protocol suite. So a client implementing only the basic protocol suite
will cause lots of flooding (he doesn't know how and what to cache
and so sends disco#info and jabber:iq:* requests to anyone).

Clients that implement XEP-0115 are said to aviod sending disco#info
if the other client does not send a <c> in his presence stanza. But this
will limit them, and they will get less information about the other
side (when playing nice and not send disco#info) than clients which
don't play nice will get.

The natural conclusion would be: I use the new disco on capabilities
if the other side supports it and I will send disco#info if the
other side does not support entity capabilites.

And about jabber:iq:version: Looks like clients will still flood them
if they want to display the OS the contact is using.

Robin