[Standards] XEP-0073: Question about service discovery

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Wed Feb 7 18:01:06 UTC 2007

> Is the information returned by the first one as the information returned by the
> second one? I guess not. XEP-0115 does only allow caching of disco#info requests
> to these nodes, but not of disco requests without a node attribute.

Right, that might not be specified properly. This is how I see it:
suppose that a Client X has caps node http://clientx.org/caps,
version=0.1 and ext=cs
- disco#info on the node http://clientx.org/caps#0.1 returns all the
features that Client X 0.1 supports
- disco#info on the node http://clientx.org/caps#cs returns the
features of the Client X extension 'cs' (e.g. chat states support)
- disco#info without a node returns *all* the features that the entity
supports, which are all the features of 0.1 plus chat states

disco#info without a node shouldn't be queried by clients that support
XEP-0115, since they can derive that by taking the union of the
version features and all extensions. (at least it shouldn't be queried
on clients that support XEP-0115 themselves).

cheers,
Remko