[Standards] XEP-0073: Question about service discovery

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Wed Feb 7 20:00:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 11:03:09AM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
[.snip.]

> I think iq:version should be deprecated for determining the identity of
> entities from which you receive presence (e.g., other users and some
> kinds of gateways). It can still be useful for determining the identity
> of an entity from which you do not receive presence (e.g., servers and
> many kinds of components).

Sounds sane.

[.snip.]

> >But XEP-0030 disco#info requests are differnt from the ones in XEP-0115.
> >
> >See XEP-0030:
> >
> >   <iq type='get'
> >    from='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
> >    to='plays.shakespeare.lit'
> >    id='info1'>
> >        <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'/>
> >   </iq>
> >
> >But the requests in XEP-0115 are using only specific nodes, for example:
> >
> >   <iq type='get' to='randomuser1 at capulet.com/resource'>
> >     <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'
> >            node='http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/caps#0.9'/>
> >   </iq>
> >
> >Is the information returned by the first one as the information returned
> >by the
> >second one?
>
> Yes.
>
> >I guess not.
>
> Why do you guess not?

Because I haven't yet found the place where is defined that the second
request should/must have the same result than the first request.

In fact I don't see any example or definition what the second request
should return as result. I can only _guess_ that it should be the same
result as the first query (the one without an node attribute).

XEP-0115 does not say, or at least i can't find the place where it might
say, that

   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'/>

-requests will return the same information as a

   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'
          node='http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/caps#0.9'/>
-request.

If the methods advertised by XEP-0115 should deliver the same information
that a
"<query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'/>"-request
returns it should be noted somewhere, otherwise it won't be so obvious
for client developers. XEP-0115 only speaks of 'features' that can be
advertised. Where XEP-0030 also speaks of identities that are returned
in the result.

Robin