[Standards] Re: XEP-0073: Question about service discovery

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Feb 8 17:21:01 UTC 2007

Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 14:44 +0000, Kevin Smith wrote:
>>> +1
>> I'm not even sure it needs to go this far - the way we currently
>> treat it is that caps info is shown for contacts by default, and they
>> can get more information by an iq:version manually if they want.
>>
>> Adding a caps for OS seems to be somewhat overkill for such a simple
>> problem, to me.
>
> I think the OS is a fine candidate for disco meta data. It is not a
> capability.

Yeah, I had the same thought:

<iq type='get'
     from='juliet at capulet.com/balcony'
     to='romeo at montague.net/home'
     id='disco1'>
   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'/>
</iq>

<iq type='result'
     from='romeo at montague.net/home'
     to='juliet at capulet.com/balcony'
     id='disco1'>
   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'>
     <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='result'>
       <field var='FORM_TYPE' type='hidden'>
         <value>some uri or urn here</value>
       </field>
       <field var='os'>
         <value>Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; it-IT; rv:1.7.10</value>
       </field>
     </x>
   </query>
</iq>

Then the question is: exactly what should the value be?

/psa