[Standards] Re: XEP-0073: Question about service discovery

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Thu Feb 8 17:39:16 UTC 2007

> Yay, then I will simply send a request for the OS to each of my contacts
> when I or the contact logs in! And back is the flooding :-)

Do you *really* need that information available for *every* contact at
*all* times in your client? I hardly see the use. The best thing i can
come up with is show a default avatar with the client logo for every
contact, but this can be done using the capabilities information.

Anyway, adding hashes to presence is something we stopped doing,
because the presence packet size keeps on building up, even for
clients that are not even interested in this information. If we really
want a way to publish the version specifics of an entity to all
contacts, we should define a PEP spec for this.

cheers,
Remko