[Standards] Re: XEP-0073: Question about service discovery

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Feb 8 18:24:11 UTC 2007

Robin Redeker wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 06:39:16PM +0100, Remko Tronçon wrote:
>>> Yay, then I will simply send a request for the OS to each of my contacts
>>> when I or the contact logs in! And back is the flooding :-)
>> Do you *really* need that information available for *every* contact at
>> *all* times in your client? I hardly see the use. The best thing i can
>> come up with is show a default avatar with the client logo for every
>> contact, but this can be done using the capabilities information.

Ah, OK. See here (another post from Remko):

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2005-December/009255.html

So it seems that some clients want to show an avatar under all
circumstances, and when they don't have a contact-provided avatar they
instead show an icon for the contact's operating system. Wow, that's
cool, now I know you're on Windows. Is that little "feature" really
worth the iq:version flood? I don't think so.

> I guess it is not neccessary. I'm just concerned about the unnecessary
> traffic that current clients produce.

Bug reports are your friend. :-)

XMPP Standards Foundation