[Standards] Threaded chats

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Feb 8 19:54:17 UTC 2007

Greg Hudson wrote:

> The RFC 3921 "subject" element doesn't work for this kind of tagging
> because it's claimed by XEP-0045 as the chatroom global subject.  The
> "thread" element doesn't work because it's not human-readable.
> Presumably a XEP-0131 header could serve.

Hmm. It's somewhat unfortunate that we use <subject/> for the room-level
topic [1] but I don't think that necessarily precludes using per-message
<subject/> tags as well. Naturally clients would need to differentiate
between a message with <subject/> and no <body/> received from the room
and a message with <subject/> and <body/> received from an occupant.

Peter

[1] http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#subject-mod