[Standards] Re: XEP-0073: Question about service discovery

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Feb 8 21:15:52 UTC 2007

Robin Redeker wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 11:24:11AM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Robin Redeker wrote:
>>> I guess it is not neccessary. I'm just concerned about the unnecessary
>>> traffic that current clients produce.
>> Bug reports are your friend. :-)
>
> Against whom? The client authors? That would be quite a lot of work
> for few gain. The authors aren't even doing anything wrong.

Client authors who have been on these discussion lists for a long time
know about the issue because that's why we wrote XEP-0115 in the first
place. Client authors who start coding without knowing any of the
history can be forgiven for misunderstanding, especially if they learn
the protocol by watching the XML debug from older clients.

> Nothin in the XEPs forbids or even discourages the current usage :-)

That will change soon.

> I would just change the spec and give the client developers time to
> adapt.

In the works.

/psa