[Standards] Threaded chats

Daniel Noll daniel at noll.id.au
Fri Feb 9 03:02:26 UTC 2007

> Agreed. And we have social conventions for that in chatrooms. I don't
> particularly see the need for technology on top of that.

We already have technology for this in chatrooms too.  Which is to say
that people on IRC tend to prefix such lines with "nick: ", and IRC
clients tend to highlight lines which have the user's nick in them.

Of course, some might argue that this is a form of text-based protocol,
usually considered taboo when applied to XMPP.  But I imagine that even if
you made such an extension element, all that would happen is the sender
would detect the user adding "nick:" to the start of a line, and then add
the extension element.  So the bandwidth would increase while making life
no easier for the client developer.

Daniel

 Jabber: daniel at noll.id.au
  Email: daniel at noll.id.au