[Standards] Threaded chats

Nicolas Vérité nicolas.verite at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 09:31:47 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, Daniel Noll <daniel at noll.id.au> wrote:

> > Agreed. And we have social conventions for that in chatrooms. I don't
> > particularly see the need for technology on top of that.
>
> We already have technology for this in chatrooms too.  Which is to say
> that people on IRC tend to prefix such lines with "nick: ", and IRC
> clients tend to highlight lines which have the user's nick in them.

I don't think so because a nick can take part of many threads in a chatroom,
and my original question is also about making distinction of threads
inside on-to-one chats.

Maybe time-based cross-references with mouse hovers is a solution,
like we have in the web-based chat at: http://linuxfr.org/board/
This model has been matured over the years, and I must say
it is very usable and useful, but I'm not a UI expert.

Nicolas Vérité (Nÿco) mailto:nicolas.verite at gmail.com
Jabber ID : xmpp:nyco at jabber.fr
http://linuxfr.org/ - http://fr.wikipedia.org/ - http://www.jabberfr.org/