[Standards] Threaded chats

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 9 18:50:31 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 11:29 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> And I don't see why we can't use <thread/> and <subject/> for that --
> <thread/> is the machine-friendly tracking mechanism (client associates
> each thread with a different color or tree or sub-window or whatever)
> and <subject/> is the human-readable text (client shows for mouseovers
> or whatever).

<thread/> could certainly be used for color-coding, although each client
would presumably wind up choosing a different color for the same thread.

Within a MUC, using <subject> to provide a human-readable thread topic
is likely to run afoul of the existing room subject behavior.  Although
we can mandate that new clients distinguish between messages with
not interact well with old clients or MUC implementations.