[Standards] Threaded chats

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Feb 9 19:55:02 UTC 2007

Greg Hudson wrote:

> Within a MUC, using <subject> to provide a human-readable thread topic
> is likely to run afoul of the existing room subject behavior.  Although
> we can mandate that new clients distinguish between messages with
> not interact well with old clients or MUC implementations.

Well, nothing in XEP-0045 as it stands today forbids or discourages the
sending of groupchat messages with <subject/> elements within the
conversation flow, and <subject/> is not reserved for use in MUC rooms
only to advertise the room subject. So IMHO if a client assumes that any
message with a <body/> and <subject/> received in the context of a MUC
room pertains to the room subject, then it is making a false assumption.
But in my experience, a lot of clients don't show <subject/> even in
messages of type 'normal' or 'chat', let alone 'groupchat'. And the
thread handling we're talking about here is not mainly predicated on
handling of <subject/> anyway (it's mostly based on <thread/>.

/psa