[Standards] FWD: Priority

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Feb 12 17:14:13 UTC 2007

Senthil Kumar wrote:

>             In PIDF or RPID priority attribute can be used to
> communicate the communication means if I have more than one
> communication means on which I can be reached? I am not able to
> understand the usage of priority attribute in XMPP.  Can anyone let me
> know what is presence priority in XMPP used for?

Presence priority is used to differentiate between simultaneous
connections from multiple devices. Most XMPP servers use the presence
priority in deciding where to route messages sent to the "bare JID"
("user at domain.tld") of a user. So a message sent to romeo at montague.net
will be routed to the full JID ("user at domain.tld/resource") with the
highest presence priority.

XMPP Standards Foundation