[Standards] Privacy list: advertised status

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Tue Feb 13 20:43:56 UTC 2007

Hello,

Le 13 févr. 07 à 21:27, Peter Saint-Andre a écrit :

>> Concrete use case is for example if you want to be available to
>> your closest coworker (that see your real status). You want to
>> advertise your familly member that you are working on a given
>> topic and that they should not disturb you (but they can if they
>> really need to). Other people see you offline.
>> You can reverse the situation. You are in vacation and connected.
>> You are invisible for most of your coworker, online but with a
>> status stating that you are on vacation and should not be
>> disturbed and free for chat for other users.
>
> Realistically, do typical end users want to manage that level of
> complexity? I doubt it. Maybe some power users do, but they are
> rare. And let's not forget that you can always have multiple
> accounts...

I thought the same about mail filter rules some times ago, thinking
it was dedicated to power users but actually much more people that I
thought have actually setup filter rules for their email.
The mechanism described here is simply a matter of setting two
profiles and switching between them.

The problem with multiple accounts is that you do not always have
access to clients with multiple account support. This is the case on
mobile phone, where most of the case you can only connect to one of
your account.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.process-one.net/