[Standards] XEP-0126 invisibility interpretation

Mridul mridul at sun.com
Wed Feb 14 02:29:11 UTC 2007

Mickaël Rémond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How should be interpret the various repetition of this sentence in XEP
> 126:
>
> In order to ensure synchronization of presence notifications, the
> client SHOULD now re-send the user's presence for broadcasting to all
> contacts, which the active rule will block to all but those JIDs with
> the specified subscription type:
>
> In my understanding of privacy list, the best behaviour is that when
> you become invisible, to let the server send the unavailable presence
> packet (I think the invisible deprecated JEP, base on presence type
> invisible).

Hi,

  Yes, this is the current expected behavior. If the client sets a
privacy list, server is expected to send unavailable to all contacts to
whom the user was previously visible and is not so anymore.
The way I understand the sentence above would be - broadcast
unavailable, set privacy list as active, broadcast available.
I guess this is for handling cases where server does not do the right
thing w.r.t privacy list change ?

Regards,
Mridul