[Standards] XEP-0126 invisibility interpretation

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Feb 16 16:16:04 UTC 2007

Andreas Monitzer wrote:

> Maybe XEP-0186 should be extended to handle ICQ-style
> visible/invisible-lists.

http://www.icq.com/support/security/availability.html#cre says that in
ICQ you have the ability to specify lists of people who will:

1. Never see you as online even if you are in visible mode (this is your
"invisible list").

2. Always see you as online even if you are in invisible mode (this is
your "visible list").

The thing I like about XEP-0186 is that it is a simple, on-off mechanism
for setting your "mode" as visible or invisible. AFAICS, [in]visibility
lists (a la ICQ) are something we'd define on top of the mode. It's not
clear to me right now how [in]visibility lists would interact with
privacy lists. However, it *is* clear to me that this stuff is getting
awfully complicated. :-) We have privacy lists, [in]visibility mode,
[in]visibility lists, block lists (a subset of privacy lists), etc. That
is way too much complexity and we need to simplify, simplify, simplify.

XMPP Standards Foundation