[Standards] XEP-0133: Service Administration inconsinstency with XEP-0004

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at polito.it
Fri Feb 23 15:47:31 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Fabio Forno wrote:
>> Hi, I'm testing ad hoc commands implementations in several clients and
>> servers and I've found, I think, few issues in XEP-0133. For example
>> in Get List of Active Users" example the result is as it follows:
>> <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='result'>
>>       <field type='hidden' var='FORM_TYPE'>
>>         <value>http://jabber.org/protocol/admin</value>
>>       </field>
>>       <field label='The list of active users'
>>              var='activeuserjids'>
>>         <value>bard at shakespeare.lit</value>
>>         <value>crone1 at shakespeare.lit</value>
>>         <value>hag66 at shakespeare.lit</value>
>>         <value>hecate at shakespeare.lit</value>
>>         <value>wiccarocks at shakespeare.lit</value>
>>       </field>
>>     </x>
>>

>> The implied field type is "text-single",
>
> Typically the examples show an explicit field type only for forms of
> type "form" (since that's when the submitting entity needs to know what
> the field type is). Perhaps the spec author has been lazy. In those
> examples, the fields are of type 'text-multi' so perhaps we need to make
> that explicit.

Yep, since at the beginning I thought that this was a bug of Wildfire
and I submitted it to their forums, and as reply I got "those are the
specs" It's better to make it clear ;) Now I don't remember well but
think that Wildfire explicitly responds with text-single, since they
inferred the type from the example.

>> Therefore Only one <value/> field is allowed for each field, and the
>> correct report should contain as many <item/> elements as the returned
>> users.
>
> The <reported/> and <item/> elements are for large result sets, such as
> you'd receive from a search query.

That's the case I suppose. The online users may be thousands. Moreover
how a client is supposed to render a *-multi in a result form? There is
no indication I think in any XEP or best practice. A grid should be more
natural for displaying results, instead text-multi, list-multi and so on
usually are mapped to text areas, lists.

I think that the examples of this XEP should use ad hoc commands at
their best (with also <reported/> and <item/> elements),  since it is
one of the most widely implemented applications of ad hoc commands. In
this way client developers will have a test bed for the client part of
ad hoc commands. It will be very important to have some nice
implementations (I've found none so far), because ad hoc commands are
one of the most undervalued great features of xmpp now. With them
clients will become real universal clients for offering services in ASP
mode, being strong competitors of browsers where push and presence are
important.

bye, ff