[Standards] Legacy SRV records with service _jabber._tcp.hostname

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Sun Feb 25 23:46:10 UTC 2007

Hi!

I collected the promised statistics about the legacy SRV records not
using _xmpp-server but _jabber as the service name. I tried to find out
the adotion of the new/correct service name in two situations:
publication in the DNS, and usage when resolving other XMPP servers.

My statistics where collected within the last week of operation on
amessage and covers 1484 domain names of Jabber servers.

1. Usage of _jabber._tcp in DNS

Test case: I used the above collected 1484 domain names and resolved
them using the DNS to find out, if they have a _xmpp-server SRV record
and if they have a _jabber SRV record. The most interesting case for me
were servers having a _jabber record, but no _xmpp-server record. If
found 8 such servers (0,5 % of the tested servers). For one of these
servers the SRV record was completely wrong and unusable, the other
seven servers could be connected without resolving this record, as it
pointed to the same host and port as doing a standard A/AAAA resolving.

It seems, that we are ready to drop support for resolving
_jabber._tcp.hostname in our server implementations. None of the tested
1484 servers needed this DNS record to be available.

(50 hosts had a _xmpp-server SRV record but no _jabber SRV record / 350
hosts had both types of SRV records / 1076 hosts had no SRV record at all)

2. Adoption of _xmpp-server._tcp when resolving other hosts

Test case: I configured the DNS records of most domains of amessage in a
way, that servers using _xmpp-server SRV records connected to ports 5260
to 5267, while servers resolving amessage on _jabber SRV records
connected to port 5268. Therefore by checking the incoming TCP port, I
could find out which DNS SRV record has been used by the connecting
Jabber server.

I found two groups of servers connecting to port 5268 (used _jabber._tcp
SRV records to connect to amessage):
- the first group connected always to port 5268
- the second group connected to both port 5268 and to ports 5260 to 5267

It seems that the first group are servers, not doing _xmpp-server
resolving, but finding amessage by resolving the _jabber SRV record.
These are the servers, that would get into problems with servers relying
on _xmpp-server SRV records, and that are not available on the default
port 5269 on the IP address, that gets resolved on the hostname when
doing an A/AAAA lookup.

The second group are servers, that seem to lookup both types of SRV
records and that are then using both. I would consider this behaviour
wrong. Resolving _jabber if it is done should be only the fallback if
there where no _xmpp-server records. But the servers contained in this
second group are not causing problems if the _jabber._tcp records are
removed, as they continue to correctly connect to the location pointed
by the _xmpp-server record.

In the first group still consist of 131 servers in my sample (nearly 10
%). I would expect, that this are installations of old server
implementations, that had been released before we switched from _jabber
to _xmpp-server. Namely this should be most of the time jabberd prior to
version 1.4.3 (since 1.4.3 jabberd's default configuration supports
_xmpp-server resolving) or wpjabber (AFAIK all released version of
wpjabber do not resolve _xmpp-server when using the default
configuration). Both implementations can be upgraded to do the correct
resolving using a simple configuration change.

I will try to get the administrators of these servers aware of the
problem by sending a Jabber message to the admin address of these
servers, explaining them how they can change their configuration.

Matthias

List of servers, that seem to to _jabber but not _xmpp-server SRV
resolving (servers with faulty configuration):

0xbadc0ffe.org
acan.com.mx
aim.jabber.wiretrip.org
andbit.net