[Standards-JIG] URI querytypes for Jingle

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jan 2 23:58:03 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Magnus Henoch wrote:
>> It struck me that XEPs 167 (audio), 180 (video) (and possibly 183,
>> telepathy) could have their own URI querytypes,
>> e.g. xmpp:legoscia at jabber.cd.chalmers.se?voice.
>
> Good point. Though is it "voice" or "jingle"? (We can use Jingle for
> voice, for video, etc.) Or is it this?
>
> xmpp:legoscia at jabber.cd.chalmers.se?jingle;content-type=audio
>
> There are a *lot* of parameters passed back and forth in a Jingle
> negotiation, so the URIs could get quite complicated quite quickly.

Probably "voice" is best.

That raises an interesting question -- is XEP-0167 better labelled as
"voice" instead of "audio"? I guess there are plenty of things you could
do with an audio channel other than voice (distributed jam sessions,
anyone?), but you might want different codecs for that kind of thing.

/psa