[Standards-JIG] XEP-0163: PEP updates

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 13:02:22 UTC 2007

On 3 Jan 2007, at 10:12, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2007, at 03:19, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> I like some of the ideas that Ian Paterson and I discussed recently
>> -- especially some way to pre-define parameters for certain NodeIDs
>> (so that we can "hardcode" that a NodeID of "storage:bookmarks" has a
>> whitelist access model, for example). We may be able to do that with
>> a registry, or there may be other approaches that would work.
> I like ... some way to pre-define parameters for certain NodeIDs I
> think this is orthogonal to the namespace/node discussion though? (On
> first glance this seems to be the kind of thing we want to encourage,
> sensible preset parameters).

It is orthogonal to the main discussion... but since Peter raised the
subject: Although I really liked the idea of pre-defining node
parameters during our IRL chat, I've since realised that (since the
server would have to know about the details of each namespace) we'd be
back to the situation where clients have to wait for servers to
implement XEPs (registry entries) before they can take advantage of the
"hardcoding".

IMO there may still be a case for allowing the client to specify
parameters for "automatic" node creation (for XEP-0060 too). See the
extract from an earlier post below.

- Ian