[Standards-JIG] Problem implementing XEP-0191 / Mapping XEP-0191 on XEP-0016

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jan 3 16:19:25 UTC 2007

Matthias Wimmer wrote:

> I still think that blocklists should modify the default list, which is
> the list, that is active as long as the client does not select another
> privacy list for the session.

Ah, I see your reasoning for that. So if the user's server maps
blocklist changes to the default privacy list, it seems that the
following rules apply:

1. If all of a user's clients always use simple communications blocking,
then the default privacy list will be equivalent to the blocklist and
the default privacy list will be a kind of "virtual list" (in the sense
that it is never modified directly by any of the clients).

2. If one of a user's clients uses privacy lists instead of blocklists
and modifies the default privacy list by removing a blocked JID or
blocking a new JID, then that change will be reflected in the blocklist.

3. If one of a user's clients uses privacy lists and does anything but
block or unblock a JID, then that change will not be reflected in the
blocklist (since blocklists can't handle anything except blocked or
unblocked JIDs).

4. If one of a user's clients removes the default privacy list and
substitutes a new list for the old list, the blocked JIDs in the new
default privacy list (if any) will become the new blocklist.

Anything else?

Jabber Software Foundation