[Standards-JIG] PROPOSAL for Live Chat

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Thu Jan 4 22:10:56 UTC 2007

Yeah, the current Chat State Notifications <http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0085.html>  only go so far. I’ve actually been wanting this for a while too. I miss it from ICQ.

I think we could do it by including the appropriate body (text or xhtml-im) in the composing message of Chat State Notifications. I’m not sure how clients today would handle this, though, so it might need something more specific (like being a child of the composing element). I would also venture to guess, to pass muster with the Council, this would need include some way to play nice with rate limiting so servers don’t get too upset at you.

<message

    from='bernardo at shakespeare.lit/pda'

    to='francisco at shakespeare.lit/elsinore'

    type='chat'>