[Standards-JIG] PROPOSAL for Live Chat

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jan 4 23:04:44 UTC 2007

JD Conley wrote:
> Yeah, the current Chat State Notifications
> <http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0085.html> only go so far. I’ve
> actually been wanting this for a while too. I miss it from ICQ.

There are certain circumstances in which such a protocol is extremely
useful, for example emergency response. You don't just want to know that
the other person is composing and then stopped composing when the person
was typing "he's going to kill me!"

> I think we could do it by including the appropriate body (text or
> xhtml-im) in the composing message of Chat State Notifications. I’m not
> sure how clients today would handle this, though, so it might need
> something more specific (like being a child of the composing element). I
> would also venture to guess, to pass muster with the Council, this would
> need include some way to play nice with rate limiting so servers don’t
> get too upset at you.

Except that violates business rule 5.3 from XEP-0085:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0085.html#bizrules-rep

Better, I think, for us to define a separate protocol for this. Should
be pretty straightforward. Anyone want to write a proposal for it?