[Standards-JIG] Pre-Proto XEP - Karma

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Thu Jan 4 23:23:27 UTC 2007

I was looking to see what exists today for standards around Karma, and I
didn't see anything. I know many servers today implement rate limiting,
but as far as I can tell, each does it differently.

This seems like it would make a great XEP, and allow for a richer model
of communication within the entire federated XMPP network.

Some of the things that come to mind are:

-          Max Connections from a single IP Address.

-          Max Connections per second / minute / hour / day from a
single IP Address

-          Max Connections from a Subnet. Also per second / minute /
hour / day

-          Max Connections per second / Max simultaneous resources for a
user

-          Max login attempts per second / minute / hour / day from a
bare JID

-          Total bytes sent / received from a full JID. Also per second
/ minute / hour / day

-          Bytes sent / receive from a single IP and/or Subnet. Also per
second / minute / hour / day

-          Stanzas sent/received from a full JID. (Also per time
interval)

-          Stanzas sent by a Bare JID. (also per time interval).

All of this needs a discovery protocol, so that clients can
enable/disable features based on karma. For example, IBB probably isn't
a good idea on a server with karma restrictions.

It would also be good to allow different users (and categories of users)
to have different karmic settings. (Anonymous connections very low,
standard connections normal, compressed connections higher, etc).

Thoughts? Is this something that seems worth moving forward with?

--

Chris Mullins