[Standards-JIG] Re: PROPOSAL for Live Chat

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Fri Jan 5 14:24:33 UTC 2007

> Character-by-character updates are something that you send while in the
> composing state, but your chat state doesn't change while you are
> sending each character -- all the while you are still just composing as
> far as chat state notifications are concerned. So there is no reason to
> send another composing event (the "yep I'm still composing" event?).
>
> IMHO a separate protocol is in order. Negotiate it separately from chat
> states because it really is different and will have its own parameters
> (do we agree to use it? do we send one char at a time or bunch them up?
> etc.). Don't overload chat state notifications with a function it wasn't
> intended to perform, and let those specialized systems that want "live"
> chat have it in a granular manner.

i would send one or multiple characters in a specific interval (500 or
1000ms), and only if there are outstanding chars or key actions to send.
This would reduce the traffic if somebody is typing very fast.

And as Ralph suggested some index for ordering would be good. In order
delivery is required according to the RFC, but as we have seen in a
previous discussion its currently a problem on some servers.

Alex