[Standards-JIG] PROPOSAL for Live Chat

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Fri Jan 5 17:05:33 UTC 2007

> Naturally we'd need a <del/> element in case someone hits backspace.
> What to do if the sender mouses around and interpolates some text? Do
> we
> indicate the position of the cursor? Etc.
>
> Ick, it's not so straightforward, is it?

If it goes this route a "Reset" is also needed if so much changes the diff is larger than the set (i.e. copy/paste, highlight/replace, clear). What about X-html chat? Emoticons?

I really don't see the issue with sending the full body each time. In a typical chat conversation, especially one where you're using live chat, the body doesn't get very big relative to the size of the stanza. The extra protocol and algorithm complexity for the diff model seems unnecessary IMHO.

-JD