[Standards-JIG] PROPOSAL for Live Chat

Yann Le Boulanger asterix at lagaule.org
Fri Jan 5 23:57:44 UTC 2007

Pedro Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Jan 5, 2007, at 10:35 PM, Yann Le Boulanger wrote:
>
>> Pedro Melo wrote:
>>>  - each stanza sends a partial set of characters, including a offset
>>> number, and a total size number. The receives replaces the current text
>>> starting at offset with the received update and then trims at the
>>> lenght. This should cover any updates/deletes, etc)
>>
>> you send too much thing. offset + len(chars) = total size, so no need to
>> send everything.
>
> Not true.
>
> We need both to detect deletes.
>
> If you have from a previous message of mine 12345 and I erase 45 and
> type 6, the message should be 1236, and I would send 6 as the delta, 3
> as the offset (assume 0 based offsets) and 4 as the size (to eliminate
> the last 5).

whay I understood is that when I receive a new event, all chars before
offset are keept, all chars after offset are removed and replaced with
the one in "partial set of characters" so in you case if I receive "6"
with offset 3, I keep "123" and replace "456" by "6" so it's obvious
that 4 and 5 have been removed

--
Yann