[Standards-JIG] PROPOSAL for Live Chat

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Sat Jan 6 10:09:27 UTC 2007

> Better, I think, for us to define a separate protocol for this. Should
> be pretty straightforward. Anyone want to write a proposal for it?

Personally, I wouldn't care too much about saving traffic in the case
where characters are inserted or deleted in the middle of the text. I
would therefore have 2 modes in this protocol: append mode, where you
send one character to be appended (or deleted) from the tail of the
message, and replace mode, where you send the whole message that
replaces the current one (used when appending doesn't apply). This is
easy to implement in both sending and receiving clients, should make
most use cases 'efficient' in traffic, and avoids illegal offsets etc.
Stream compression will take care of a lot of the redundancy in the
'replace' mode. As a matter of fact, the 'append' mode might not even
save a lot of traffic over stream compression. The downside of
'replace' mode is that it might involve a lot of redrawing, but then
again, I don't expect many people editing their messages in the
middle.

cheers,
Remko