[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: XEP-0157 (Contact Addresses for XMPP Services)

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Sat Jan 6 10:10:53 UTC 2007

I don't think, that domain.tld/admin is a good idea for the admin
address. Many users do not even know the domain.tld address, but having
to add the "admin" resource does make it even harder to guess this address.
Due to my experience many new Jabber users (often the users that need
help by the admin most) do not understand other addresses then
"user at domain.tld". They are often irritated if you give them addresses,
that don't match this syntax. With "domain.tld" you can tell them, that
without a userpart it's the server. But it get's harder if you have to
explain what a resource is in addition at the same time. As well as we
will get a confusing mixture of addresses for admins in the Jabber
space. If you look around how many old Jabber servers are still used,
you will see, that we will not manage to switch the address completely
to the new one.
Iff using the bare domain for the administrative address is really a
problem, I think we should better change the admin address to something
even new users may expect. And the best address we have for that is
(IMO) xmpp at domain.tld as it matched the server admin's e-mail address.

Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56