[Standards-JIG] PROPOSAL for Live Chat

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Sat Jan 6 10:22:55 UTC 2007

Ralph Meijer schrieb:
> I'm not sure all of this really is an issue. Remember that the stanza
> ends up in a TCP packet, with a size slightly less than 1500 bytes.

Why should it be slightly less than 1500 bytes? 1500 is only the maximum
size of an IP packet transported on an ethernet network. But an ethernet
frame is not always 1518 bytes long (including ethernet protocol data).
This again is only the maximum size.
Ethernet frames can be as small as 64 bytes (= 46 bytes of IPv4 data =
20 bytes IP header + 20 bytes TCP header + 6 bytes). So it's only 6
bytes of XMPP data, that is always at least used (or padded).

Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56