[Standards-JIG] PROPOSAL for Live Chat

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Sat Jan 6 16:36:01 UTC 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 10:03:23AM +0100, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> I'm not sure all of this really is an issue. Remember that the stanza
> ends up in a TCP packet, with a size slightly less than 1500 bytes. Most
> messages (when finished) are way smaller. So it doesn't really matter if
> you send one character or the whole thing.

I'm not entirely sure, I thought if the packet is "too short" (the value
depends on the link it is sent over), it waits before a new packet can
be sent, but the gap is not part of the packet. As much as I know,
providers do not count the gap to the data transmitted (if you have FUP
or pay on data basis), so it maxes a difference.

On the other hand, the repeating would probably (guess) be eaten by
compression (and people who care about the data amount should use it),
so I would be for the way "send it all and do not care about the
differences".

--
One semi-random fortune:

Einstein argued that there must be simplified explanations of nature, because
God is not capricious or arbitrary.  No such faith comforts the software
engineer.
                -- Fred Brooks

Michal "vorner" Vaner