[Standards-JIG] PROPOSAL for Live Chat

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Sat Jan 6 16:42:59 UTC 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 11:26:16AM +0100, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> I am wondering if live chat would not better be done on a Jingle session
> between two users.
> On the one hand this would save the server from many traffic and work -
> and on the other hand it would decrease the latency of the chat very much.
>
> I think having a not to big latency is a very important thing for the
> live chat.

But it adds a lot of more work for the developer.

And I think you do not type so fast the 200ms, or even second more would make any
difference. And you would end up with a state when the other side
already started typing a new message and you see half of the new one and
the old one did not yet come by tho "usual" way.

And for the load on the server, you save few stanzas for the messages,
but you get jingle negotiation and load for STUN server.

In short, I think it is not exactly the place for optimization.

--
A nuclear war can ruin your whole day.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner