[Standards-JIG] block + privacy lists again

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jan 8 19:03:08 UTC 2007

Mridul just had a chat about the interaction between block lists and
privacy lists, which resulted in the following conclusions and questions:

1. Modifications to the block list result in changes only to the default
list and only to the jid+deny items in that list. This means that if a
privacy list client makes a change to anything except a jid+deny item,
that change will not be reflected in the block list. This also means
that if a block list client unblocks an item or unblocks all items, that
will affect only the jid+deny items in the privacy list. The the concept
is that the jid+deny entries must be in sync between the block list and
the default privacy list, but other items in the default privacy list
are not affected by the block list.

2. It's not clear what the priority of blocked (jid+deny) items should
be in the privacy list. IMHO they should come first in the privacy list,
but that's only a recommendation, not a requirement.

3. Some of this might be easier if we allowed layering of privacy lists,
as has been discussed in the past. That is, we could have one privacy
list for jid+deny items and then layer other privacy lists on top of
that. So that's an item for further discussion.

4. If we did invisibility via XEP-0186 and blocking via XEP-0191, how
many people would really need privacy lists?

5. Should we relax the rule in XEP-0016 that says changes to the default
list MUST be forbidden if the default list is in use by other resources?
Blocking gets around this by sending updates.

Mridul, did I miss anything?

Jabber Software Foundation