[Standards-JIG] component protocol XEP-0114

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Tue Jan 9 19:59:54 UTC 2007

i have done some refactoring of component source code in the last days.
This was a nightmare ;-)

There are lots of servers which still use the old undocumented protocols
Most new servers only care about what's is documented in XEP-0114.

One of our big advantages are/were always the components, and i don't
want that we loose this great protocols. We should at least add SASL
authentication and StartTLS to XEP-0114.

More and more server developers implement components directly in the
server with own protocols or plugins. I would really like to see that we
use and extend the component protocols.

What are the issues with the current protocol?
I think everything what could be designed in plugin interfaces could be
also designed in XMPP (eg. roster and db access).
Waiting for comments from component, gateway and server developers.

Regards
Alex