RES: RES: [Standards-JIG] ICE XEP - xep-0176

Thiago Camargo thiago at jivesoftware.com
Tue Jan 9 23:01:26 UTC 2007

Peter,

The current STUN Media proxy behavior is that way , bacause we are familirized with SIP.
Actually, with XMPP negociation, we dont need to negociate Media Proxy candidate using SDP, UDP, and STUN protocol.
We can negociate it using XMPP. The reason, is that if you have a XMPP connection establhished, the connection is very reliable, but, if you use SDP and UDP to negociate Media Proxy Candidates, itsn´t that reliable.

About SOCKs 5, is too much overhead to media content. And no one that cares about sound and video quality want a SOCKs 5 transport method.

What I suggest, is to write a XEP for STUN server discovery, and another XEP to Media Relay Server Discovery, and get Relayed Candidate from the Relay Server using XMPP.

This way we will be as reliable as possible and using XMPP as must as we can.

And we can create a XMPP server that provide almost every media transport using XMPP to negociate.
What is good for ICE implementations, and Jingle´s popularity.

Regards,
Thiago