RES: RES: RES: [Standards-JIG] ICE XEP - xep-0176

Thiago Camargo thiago at jivesoftware.com
Wed Jan 10 05:57:19 UTC 2007

I have some good reason to prefer that:

TURN is an IETF standard, which implements media relay for SIP end-points. The
approach however is not ideal. It assumes the clients have a trust relationship with a
TURN server and request session allocation based on shared credentials. This has
scalability issues, requires complex changes in the XMPP clients, as TURN protocol is
difficult to implement, has no possibility of distributing the load and complicates the
configuration of the XMPP user agent.
Another approach, which requires no changes in the XMPP devices, is to reuse the trust
relationship the XMPP Server device already has with the XMPP Server. In contrast with how TURN
works, the XMPP Server and not the User agent does the session reservation for the
media relay. This has the immediate advantage that the Jingle UA does not have to have
any TURN capability built in and secondary a database with user credentials does not
need to be stored on both the TURN server and the client. Another advantage is the
fact that the XMPP Server has always more clues about where is the best place to assign
a media relay for a Jingle session than the Jingle devices themselves. This allows per call
allocation of a media relay session in an optimum place on the Internet and solves the
load balancing and scalability of the media relay function.

For an enterprise the media relay should always be located at the border of the network, for roaming uses
the media relay location should be chosen depending on subscriber geographical address.
And there is not better way to know this than using Enterprise XMPP Server.

If the Relay Server Service is a Smart service, it will have some load balance engine, to choose the best server for the client.

Maybe, we will have a fork here, that can let you get candidates through XMPP Server or a client with TURN support.

Regards,
Thiago