[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0012 (Last Activity)

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Thu Jan 18 02:13:11 UTC 2007

I encountered a use case that I think warrants a change to IQ:Last.

One of the items that a server should store as part of "Last" is the
xml:lang of the last stream the user had opened. This way a sender can
send a message (that will be stored offline) and make sure the language
it's being sent in is correct.

Without this, if I'm in English and send a message to someone (who
happens to speak French, but I can't tell that at the moment), the
remote server will store the message in English. When the French client
comes online, he's going to be hit with an English message that he's not
going to understand.

If the server stored the XML:Lang for the last stream, the original
sender could have sent the message in French, and everything would be
smoother.

--
Chris Mullins