[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Best Practices to Discourage Denial of Service Attacks Against XMPP Servers

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 16:59:48 UTC 2007

On 22 Jan 2007, at 17:55, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>> Title: Best Practices to Discourage Denial of Service Attacks
>> Against XMPP Servers
>> Abstract: This document recommends a number of practices that can
>> help discourage denial of service attacks on XMPP-based networks.
>
> Just a little something I wrote up over the weekend. It needs to be
> expanded a bit before the XMPP Council decides whether to accept it.

Within the 'Specific recommendations to follow' of Karma usage - what
do people really think of Karma? While I agree that it's desirable to
stop people overloading servers, I'm a bit concerned that low karma
limits will do more damage than good, and we should think reasonably
carefully about recommending levels.

/K

--
Kevin Smith