[Standards] Re: [Standards-JIG] Notes on JEP-0178: Best Practices for Use of SASL EXTERNAL - client part of the JEP

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 16:24:28 UTC 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 2:12 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>   Clause 3: I do not think, that we have to check the existence of
>>   the account the user authenticated as (= that has been included in
>>   the certificate). We just have to check, that the account the user
>>   tries to authorize as does exist. The authorization identity should
>>   always be an XMPP address, therefore we do not need this clause
>> that
>>   way. But we may have some words on an authentication policy.
>> Therefore
>>   it might be possible that the authentication identity is just a
>>   Common Name in the certificate, and the certificate with that CN
>>   might be allowed (e.g. by an LDAP entry) to authorize as an XMPP
>>   address, that is passed in the SASL exchange, and that has been
>> found
>>   in that LDAP directory.
>
> Well pgm and I talked about this use case about a year ago -- the
> idea is that the cert does not contain any XMPP address but does
> contain a Common Name and the server can use that information to
> match the CN with an XMPP address. But it seems in this case that
> the client should (must?) include an authorization identity, right?

Please not MUST.  It's quite common in our customer base for certs to
have been already generated before XMPP has been considered.  As
well, the users don't necessarily know what their user names are,
since they just put in a smart card to log in.  With this
combination, there's no way for the client to know what to put in as
the authorization identity, and the server just has to look at the
cert, and figure out in some way what the associated JID is.

--
Joe Hildebrand