[Standards] Re: [Standards-JIG] UPDATED: XEP-0178 (Best Practices for Use of SASL EXTERNAL)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jan 26 18:16:57 UTC 2007

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
>>> The other thing is if EXTERNAL has been offered (i.e. TLS was able to
>>> verify the authentication identity), but EXTERNAL failed to authorize
>>> (i.e. the peer tried to authorize as someone he is not allowed to
>>> authorize as), it might be considered as a final authorization failure
>>> causing a stream-close. I am not sure about that one yet.
>>
>> I guess in that case the auth would fail and the client would need to
>> retry with a different mechanism next time?
>
> Not sure. That would mean, that if SASL EXTERNAL fails for temporarily
> reasons, that a server stops using it for future authentication attempts.

No, I mean the server would offer SASL EXTERNAL the next time but the
client would try a different mechanism. Alternatively, the server could
return a SASL failure for EXTERNAL but not close the stream, in which
case the client could try another mechanism. The SASL spec has some text
about the number of retries a server might allow, and I'll look at that
again. But right now I am deeply involved in cleaning up the text about
server dialback in rfc3920bis (don't worry, I'm making no modifications
to the logic, just better examples and more error flows!).

XMPP Standards Foundation