RES: [Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Best Practices to DiscourageDenial of Service Attacks Against XMPP Servers

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Fri Jan 26 21:32:16 UTC 2007

Hi Peter!

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
> At the jabber.org deployment we limit the number of connections from a
> single IP address to something like 20. If a large company wants to use
> Jabber, it should install its own. :-)

Well experience with our transports show, that networks like AIM, ICQ,
MSN and Yahoo! do allow more than 20 concurrent connections from a
single IP.
What they limit is the number of new connections in a given interval of
time.

BTW: While I think it is correct to implement such restrictions, we (the
community in general) should stop blaming other networks for having them.

Tot kijk
     Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56