[Standards] Flash binding for Jingle

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jan 30 22:49:24 UTC 2007

Matt Tucker wrote:

>> So, this is some transport
>> that is easier to write in flash? I guess I noticed the
>> protocol being proprietary. Does it mean every client that
>> wants to talk with flash client needs to buy it from adobe?
>
> Yes, unfortunately, Flash is a proprietary protocol. However, see my
> last email. There's now a viable open source Flash server
> implementation, which suddenly makes things pretty interesting. Having
> Adobe as a commercial solution is also valuable.

Naturally I can't say that I'm excited about proprietary protocols. It's
true that Jingle was designed to be modular, so that we can plug in
various transports and content types. However, I'm not sure it's
appropriate for the XSF itself to publish specs for interacting with
proprietary protocols. Would we publish a XEP for sending RTF-formatted
messages or collaboratively editing MS Office files? Not sure. Perhaps
the right place to publish a spec for the Jingle Flash transport is on
Adobe's site.

> Either way, I'm pretty excited about the XEP for a few reasons:
>
>  * Jingle needs a kick in the pants and a bit of sexiness. Open
> standards voice audio in web pages is sexy.
>  * There are rumors of Flash support for SIP from Adobe:
>
> http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/voip/adobe-flash-goes-voip.asp
>
>  I'd much rather see XMPP be the way that VOIP in Flash gets done.

I like the idea of Jingle over Flash, but I'm not sure if it's right for
the spec to be published in the XSF's standards process.

XMPP Standards Foundation