[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0156 (A DNS TXT Resource Record Format for XMPP Connection Methods)

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Tue Jan 30 23:30:20 UTC 2007

Hi Peter!

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
>> For compatibility we already have to do up to four DNS lookups:
>>
>> _xmpp-server SRV
>> _jabber SRV
>
> Let's deprecate _jabber SRV, shall we? I have already removed any text
> about it from rfc3920bis (version -01).

I already consider it to be deprecated. What I think would be needed it,
that we should make an agreement between the server implementors, that
we will remove support for this record in future releases of our server
software. Especially if prominent servers as "jabber.org" would stop
resolving this record, administrators needing a SRV record would soon
notice, that they have to update their DNS.

And we could create some scripts before, that check the DNS entries of
the peers of some servers, if they contain a _jabber._tcp SRV record,
but no _xmpp-server._tcp SRV record. This could be used to notify the
admins of such servers as well.

> Even the TXT records for things like http binding will be deprecated
> eventually if U-NAPTR takes off. But that might take a while. In the
> meantime, the TXT lookups for http binding etc. are helpful.

Yes, I agree, that for other connection methods, they are currently very
helpful.

Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56