[Standards] Re: [Standards-JIG] block + privacy lists again

Mridul mridul at sun.com
Wed Jan 31 02:22:01 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 2007-01-08, Mridul wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>> 5. Should we relax the rule in XEP-0016 that says changes to the
>>> default list MUST be forbidden if the default list is in use by
>>> other resources? Blocking gets around this by sending updates.
>>
>> Currently, a roster push has the change also sent across, not just
>> that the roster was changed : privacy list push on the other hand
>> just say that the list was modified - that could be modified and this
>> requirement relaxed ?
>
> Well, one problem is that the privacy list change could be quite large
> (e.g., add one item at the beginning and you may need to renumber all
> the priority values!). In rosters we send the delta, but in privacy
> lists we send the whole list.
>
> Peter

If the client changes order in such a way that entire list gets modified
- sure, push the entire list : it is similar to large number of
modification to roster by removing most of the users or adding a whole
bunch of them. You would end up with a lot of data in both cases.
Typically, we have found that lists tend to be reasonably small and the
typical infrequent modifications are to toggle a permission from deny to
allow, etc.

Regards,
Mridul